Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cilantro Salmon Burger


Growing up in Russia, we never knew burgers. It's not a typical way of making food there. McDonald's came to Russia in 1990, but I was living a few thousand miles away from it in a city that would welcome the American fast food restaurant only 13 years later. When I was 16 I took a trip to Moscow and had my first burger ever. I was immediately in love and addicted. Since then burgers have been my favorite food. After I cut meat out of my diet, I became a bit depressed... until I figured out many different ways of cooking meatless patties that are tasty and juicy and remind me of why I fell in love with burgers in the first place.

This juicy salmon burger is amazingly flavory: cilantro, garlic, red peppers, and red onions go so well together. I have even added a tiny piece of Russia to this recipe- dill! Everything in the motherland is cooked with dill :)

Burger patties (makes 8 patties) 

  • 2 salmon fillets, thawed, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried dill 
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil for frying
  • additional flour to help you make the actual patties

Cilantro sauce

  • 1/2 cup mayo (I use Veganaise)
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Serve with:

  • whole wheat rolls, buns, or pitas
  • lettuce
  • tomatoes
  • fresh cucumbers
  • fresh red onions

In a medium bowl combine salmon, peppers, onions, garlic, bread crumbs, cilantro, red pepper flakes, dill, and flour. Mix well. Add egg and season to taste. Mix everything very well.

On a cutting board or prep table, spread a little bit of flour. This will prevent the burger patties stick to the surface. Before making every patty, use some flour to cover your hands with. With your hands, create 1/2-inch thick patties. Sprinkle just a little bit of flour on both sides.

Heat up olive oil in a large skillet. On medium fry burger patties for about 5-8 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown.

Prepare the cilantro sauce by combining mayo, lemon juice, and fresh cilantro.

Serve on a whole wheat roll with the sauce and vegetables. Enjoy!
____________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment